Thursday, May 26, 2011

Dunwoody Families Called On For Help

I received the email below from a Dunwoody resident simply looking to help those in need. My thoughts are certainly with the families that are asking for help.

Hello Dunwoody bloggers:
I am writing on behalf of Jan Jordan, a first grade teacher (par excellence) at Chesnut Charter Elem. She has asked for my help to get the word out for her effort to organize relief for families in Joplin, where such a large portion of the town, including hospital and schools, was leveled.
Please take a look at the information below and decide if you can help Jan’s message to spread. We may have a subsequent post request for information on additional drop-off points… this part of the plan is still a work-in-progress.
Many thanks in advance for your help!
Melissa Marion-Landais (and Jan Jordan)

Dunwoody Families can help Families in Joplin, Missouri!

While watching the evening news last night, I saw the devastation caused by the tornadoes in Joplin, MO, as I'm sure many of you did. Seeing the devastation after just completing the school year at Chesnut… thinking of how blessed our community is to be intact, healthy, and have wonderful schools for our kids….I knew I must do my part to help put that city back together.
Although it’s not clear right now whether I will be doing this on behalf of Chesnut, all Dunwoody, or just as a private citizen, I am writing to ask for your help. I will drive out to Joplin in a U-haul on Tuesday or Wednesday, 5/31 or 6/1. I will be taking with me ANYTHING that could be useful to the families there.
************************
New or lightly used items from the following list would be MOST appreciated: water, clothing, furniture, blankets, books (children and adult), board games, playing cards, toys – whatever your family would need to survive in a shelter for a period of time, or to help rebuild later. In addition, there is ALWAYS urgent need for diapers and formula in any catastrophe like this.
************************
You can also donate financially directly to the Red Cross via their website’s Missouri update page: http://newsroom.redcross.org/
We will be waiting for the state of Missouri to post information about the search and rescue, as well as the sorts of donated items they would welcome. In the meantime, we can get started with a collection of our own to be ready for Monday. (Anything that I cannot deliver once I arrive will go to the nearest Salvation Army or other donation center.)
PLEASE GATHER YOUR ITEMS FOR THE FOLLOWING DROP-OFF LOCATIONS:
Dunwoody police department
Check for new information on this effort on www.chesnutcharter.com.
If you have any questions, feel free to reach me at: jjordan331@hotmail.com
Thank you for ANYTHING that you can do to help!
Jan Jordan

No comments: