Thursday, August 12, 2010

Not Crying Wolf


If you've ever been to one of the Dunwoody City Council meeting, you're probably familiar with Joe Hirsch, affectionately referred to as "public comment Joe" by fellow blogger Rick Callihan. Seemingly, Joe is at every council meeting, and when the mayor calls for public comments, Joe is ready to go - guns loaded! The man is passionate. I'm not always on board with Joe, and at this past city council meeting when he stepped to the microphone to complained about DeKalb County violating the Dunwoody noise ordinance (no contractors performing work before 7 am or after 7 pm), it was in one ear and out the other.

As it turns out, Joe lives on Womack Rd. across the street from Dunwoody High School. As you probably know, DeKalb County School System is renovating the high school. According to Joe, who's been exceedingly vocal on the matter, DeKalb workers and subcontractors are pounding away almost every morning well before 7 am. Including Sundays!

I tended to think Joe was exaggerating, but found out otherwise this morning. Since the start of school on Monday, I've moved up my morning jog from 6:30 am to 5:30 am (to avoid traffic). At approximately 5:45 am, as I neared the intersection of Womack and Vermack Rd., I began to hear the pounding from workers at the high school. It was loud, and it must have lasted 5 minutes. At least that's how long I heard it before my run took me away from the construction site.

Joe - you have my sympathies! Hopefully the city will take action and you'll enjoy an uninterrupted night (and morning) of rest.
.
Sign Removal
.
Have you ever noticed the divided road sign as you enter Springfield from Chamblee Dunwoody Rd.? I never did until Councilwoman Adrian Bonser told me about it (and sent the attached photo). Adrian says that soon the city will remove it - thanks Adrian. (Joe if it will help, I'll ask the city to put the sign removal on the back burner and concentrate on DeKalb compliance)!


3 comments:

DunwoodyTalk said...

Joe,

Instead of emailing you to say 'hello' I'll simply lay on my Honda's horn to say 'hello' to you whenever I drive on Womack.

Anonymous said...

Bob: From the picture, your neighborhood also needs a new Dunwoody (not Dekalb) Neighborhood Watch sign. Denny Shortal is on a campaign to convert all Dekalb "Watch" signs to the spiffy Dunwoody version.

Bob Fiscella said...

Anonymous - thx. I'll get with Denny on that.