Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Election Day


With the city of Dunwoody's new branding taken into consideration - "Smart people - Smart city" - I thought the above "vote" pin would be most appropriate!  Today is election day - don't forget to get out and vote.  The only way to have any say in how your hard earned money - tax dollars - are spend, is by voting! 

The most hotly contested local race is that for DeKalb County School Board, District 1.  Incumbent Jim Redovian appears to be in a neck-and-neck race with Nancy Jester.   Jim sent me the email below yesterday as he tires to hold onto the seat he has held for the past 4 years.

Bob,

Jim Redovian
I find it interesting that my opponent is so set on a comprehensive and direct approach to redistrict questions except when it might cost her some votes. She calls for competent and experienced board members, and her only experience is to work inside one schoolhouse. She has never had children higher than elementary school and has only began to attend any meetings at the district level in the last five months - that does not spell experience. When asked a yes or no answer on supporting a possible move of the magnets after both Ms. Gillis and myself answered yes, her (answer) was maybe, and now that it would be popular to say no for the Chamblee, Kitridge parents she has changed to no. I have never pushed for such a move, however if within the redistricting plan it is proven that such a move would be the best and most fiscally responsible solution I would have to leave the door open even if it would cost me the election. This is a large System with many problems, nothing should be off the table.
My job as expressed by Georgia law is to serve the whole system.
Jim

I am not endorsing either candidate, as I believe each has a passion to do what is best for our children.  I'm not concerned with the winner of this race having a positive impact on the board.  I do have concerns with many of the other board members, 4 of whom are up for re-election today.  It's too bad we only get to vote for one of the board positions!   

6 comments:

Nancy Jester said...

From an email going to parents supporting the fact that I said "NO" to moving the magnets:

"I attended the District 1 school board candidates forum at the Dunwoody library today (Oct. 28). Of particular interest to me was the direct question "Would you support moving the high achiever magnet program to a more central location in the county?". Both Merope Gillis and Jim Redovian answered "yes". Only Nancy Jester said "no". If you are concerned about the future for the Chamblee cluster and magnet program, keep this in mind when you vote next week."

Unknown said...

Mr. Redovian's memory is not accurate here. I was in attendance at the forum at the Dunwoody Library on 10/28, and distinctly remember that Mr. Redovian and Mrs. Gillis both answered "YES" that they would support moving the magnet program to a more central location, and then Nancy Jester was the final person to answer, and she answered a straight "NO" answer. No "maybe's" about it...The fact that Nancy Jester has young children should tell you that she has serious motivation to serve on the School Board. The fact that she has extensive actuarial and budgeting experience holds alot more merit in my book, considering the budgeting crisis that the Dekalb County School System is involved in.

DunwoodyTalk said...

Bob,

You are not endorsing a candidate? But you print a Jim Redovian email the morning of the election? Come on Bob, like to new logo says, we are smart people here in Dunwoody.

I think we know whom you support. No problem with that, Bob. But saying you are not endorsing a guy then put out a 'pro' Jim email this morning tells us otherwise.

Pam's misleading email is also making the rounds. A new FarmHouser low in my book.

Hopefully no one is using the DHA email list for endorsing a candidate. If it is (by a Board member), it is a violation of the non-profit and there could be a complaint filed.

Come tomorrow it will all be behind us and we'll need to move forward.

Bob Fiscella said...

Dunwoody Talk - actually, I've said good things about both candidates throughout the election, and posted positive emails from both candidates. Simply read the past blogs. As I stated in this blog entry, I have no issue with either candidate, it's the other board members that I have problems with.
If I really wanted to be bias, I would never have published all the positive things about Nancy, whom I really like. And I probably would have posted Jim's comments yesterday when I received them.
Both candidates have some great qualities. A short conversation with each, and that is easy to see.

DunwoodyTalk said...

Bob,

thanks for the clarification.

Rick

Anonymous said...

not that I believe the clarification, though...