Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Candidates' Forum/Debate


If you did not attend Tuesday night's candidate's forum at Dunwoody United Methodist Church, you really missed a great opportunity to learn about the candidates and their positions. Personally, I'd like to thank the Dunwoody Homeowners Association and the Dunwoody Crier for sponsoring the forum.


I'd like to further expand on some of my responses to the questions. First off, I mentioned that DeKalb County did a great job with code enforcement and that we should stay with the county for this service. I meant to say "inspection" and not "code". DeKalb County does a tremendous job with getting inspections performed in a timely fashion, and therefore there is no need to turn this service over to a private vendor. At least not in the near future. As for code - we can and will do better!


I spoke of green space at the forum. In particular, the lack thereof in Dunwoody. We need to work diligently with developers on expanding green space within their projects. We certainly can give them incentives to include green space that they otherwise might not have included.


I did not get a chance to talk about the deplorable condition of the ball fields at Dunwoody Park. And while I cannot make it my top priority, I will work hard to find additional funding for the fields. Sports can be such a huge outlet for our children. Improving those fields would go a long way. A big thanks to folks like John Crawford who have volunteered their time to make the best of a bad situation.

No comments: