Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering 9/11

For me, it's hard to believe that it's been eight years since the horrifying tragedies of September 11, 2001 (click on the photo above for a video tribute). While I did not lose a loved one on that fateful September morning, the events of that day changed my life forever. I was working for CNN at the time an a sports anchor. Within 24 hours of 9/11, CNN determined that the story needed 24-hour coverage, seven days-a-week. Thus, the powers-that-be pulled the plug on all sports coverage on the news channel, and shutdown its fledgling sports network, CNNSI. While CNN did offer me a position to remain with the company, my heart was not into the new assignment as a reporter. I left CNN after 16 amazing years, taking an anchor position with Fox Sports Net (now Fox Sports South and SportSouth). But not only did 9/11 cause me to change jobs, but change my perspective on life and my family's safety and well-being. It heightened my awareness to my surroundings, as well as to the reality that we can never be safe: not within the confines of our American borders, in Dunwoody or even our own homes.
When I think of 9/11, almost immediate the Alan Jackson song Where Where You (when the world stopped turning) springs to the forefront. Jackson wrote the song about a month after 9/11 (in one day), and the words still resonate. Click on the photo to watch.

No comments: